October is almost here, and everyone in Albuquerque, as well as the rest of the word, knows what that means - The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta! The fiesta is scheduled to start on October 1st and run through the 9th.
This is a particularly special fiesta, as the 2020 event was canceled. But even better yet, this is the 50th anniversary of the festival! This will be a very special event indeed, bringing thousands of balloon lovers from around the world. It's also been said that this is the most photographed event in the world, and this year will definitely prove that point.
If you plan to go to this amazing event, here's what you need to know.
Tickets for the Albuquerque Balloon Festival is $15 per person per session. Most days have a morning and evening session. If you leave the park in between, you will have to purchase another ticket. Some things include tickets like the Park & Ride and particular RV spots. Buy your tickets online here.
If you’re looking for a more exclusive experience, there are a few upgraded options:
- Chasers’ Club ($60 per session): Access to a special viewing area with guaranteed seating, buffet, private bathrooms, and a cash bar.
- Gondola Club ($125 per session): Everything the Chasers’ Club gets plus a parking pass, open bar, shuttle service, souvenir gift, and more.
- Concierge Program ($350 per session for 1-2 people): General admission ticket, premium parking pass, and a private golf cart and driver during your session. You also get a Balloon Fiesta gift.
- The Music Fiesta is additional as well ranging from $10 for general admission tickets to $499 for the ultimate experience.
There's going to be so much to see over the 9 days of the festival. Here are a few of the major events that you can't miss.
- Dawn Patrol (daily) – Each morning, a few balloons take off before the sun rises to check the weather conditions to ensure it’s safe for the rest of the balloons to fly. This is the least impressive to watch, and because it’s dark, photography is challenging.
- Balloon Glows (various) – Balloons will burn their propane in sync with each other before when it’s still dark while still tethered to the ground. They have a Morning Glow, Twilight Twinkle Glow, and Night Magic Glow.
- Mass Ascension (weekends) – Hundreds of balloons will launch in two waves, filling the skies with hot air balloons.
- Competitions (various) – Throughout the week, pilots fly their balloons and compete in various challenges testing their skills. One of the most popular is America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race. This annual long-distance race starts at the
- Balloon Fiesta Parks and tests to see how far they can go without coming down. Often times they are in the sky for multiple days.
- Special Shape Rodeo (various) – One of the coolest things to see is all the crazy balloon shapes that they have. During these events, they focus on only these unique balloons, whether it’s flying or glows.
If you want all the juicy details of the festival, please visit balloonfiesta.com. Enjoy the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta 2022!