Home security is an important consideration when owning or even renting a home. Many people have home security systems to help keep their home secure. But is that enough? A home security system can only do so much. There are other steps you can take to make sure your home is as secure as possible.
Here’s a few important precautions you can take to firm up your home protection.
- An old trick that still works is leaving the TV or music on when you’re gone.
- Reduce the amount of hiding places outside with motion sensor security lights.
- All exterior doors should have 1-inch deadbolts installed.
- Make sure to lock all doors and windows when going to bed.
- Never open your door until you confirm who is there. Check you security camera or get a doorbell camera.
- Thieves know all the hiding places for keys. If you must hide a key, don’t hide it under a doormat or rock. Find an inconspicuous place or leave it with a neighbor.
- Use a metal pipe or bar, or a wood plank or dowel to secure sliding doors. You can also install a glass break sensor on the door.
- Keep your garage door closed, even when you’re home. The garage leads straight into your home, giving intruders easy access. An overhead garage door contact can also provide further protection.
- Make sure drapes or blinds are closed on rooms that have valuable items.
- Keep expensive items that are not in use in a deposit box at your bank.
- Don’t leave notes on your door for family or service people letting them know you’re not home.
- If you plan on being gone for more than a few days, have someone you trust collect your mail and newspaper.
You can keep you home and family safe with just these few additional steps. Our world is becoming more dangerous. This isn’t meant to scare you, just as a friendly warning to stay safe.
Check back on our blog every week for more real estate advice and local articles about living in Albuquerque. And make sure to follow us on Facebook for up to date real estate news for Albuquerque and surrounding areas.