The holiday season is rounding out for 2021. Its been a very special season for many Albuquerque residents. Let’s keep it that way. Will you be traveling over the upcoming holidays? If so, there are some safety steps you should take.
TAKING TO THE HIGHWAY
- Make sure your car is in good condition for a road trip.
- Pack an emergency preparedness kit, supplies and a first aid kit in your vehicle.
- Share travel plans with a family member or friend.
- Check the weather before departing and along your route. Plan for travel around any storms that may be coming.
- Be well rested and alert.
- Buckle up, slow down and don’t drive impaired.
- Follow the rules of the road and use caution in work zones.
- Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
- Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
- If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
COVID-19 AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
- Face masks are mandatory for everyone while using public transportation. This requirement is extended in the U.S. through March 18, 2022. Those who are exempt include children under age 2, someone whose disability prevents them from safely wearing a mask, or someone for whom a mask may create a risk to their workplace safety.
- Plan ahead. Check the current coronavirus situation at your destination and follow all restrictions in that area. You can find that information here.
- If traveling by air, check if the airline requires any testing, vaccination or other documents.
- Don’t travel if you are sick, have been exposed to COVID-19, tested positive for the virus, or are waiting for your test results. More information is available here.
- If you are traveling internationally, you need to get a COVID-19 viral test no more than 24 hours before you fly into the U.S., whether you are vaccinated and regardless of your citizenship status. Full information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention can be found here COVID-19 travel recommendations by destination are available here.
Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!